What your dentists in Woodbridge, VA, want you to know about orthodontic treatment
There are many reasons you may need orthodontic treatment. The dentists at Mapledale Family Dentistry in Woodbridge, VA, want to share what you should know about orthodontic treatment and how it can help you.
Everyone knows orthodontic treatment is used to correct tooth and jaw alignment problems. So, why are proper tooth and jaw alignment so important? A properly aligned jaw can save you from future problems like temporomandibular joint or TMJ problems, which can result in headaches, facial pain, and other long-term problems.
When your teeth are properly aligned, it can save you from tooth wear which can result in needing dental restorations or root canal treatment. Straight teeth are also much easier to floss, which can save you from periodontal disease.
Some of the signs you may need orthodontic treatment are if you have:
- An overbite, when your upper jaw excessively protrudes over your lower jaw
- An underbite, when your lower jaw excessively protrudes in front of your upper jaw
- A crossbite, when your upper and lower jaws cross each other
- An open bite, when your front teeth don’t close together when you bite down
At Mapledale Family Dentistry you can choose from several different options to straighten your smile. Consider:
- Conventional braces, which come in several types including metal brackets and wires, tooth-colored brackets and clear wires, or lingual braces, which are placed on the tooth surfaces next to your tongue.
- Invisalign revolutionary clear plastic aligners. The aligners are comfortable, virtually invisible, and typically require only 9 to 15 months to complete treatment. You can also remove the trays to eat, brush, and floss, making them a very convenient, user-friendly choice.
Whether you choose braces or aligners to straighten your teeth, the dentists at Mapledale Family Dentistry are committed to providing excellent dental care before, during, and after your orthodontic treatment. To schedule a consultation and find out more about braces or Invisalign treatment call the dentists at Mapledale Family Dentistry in Woodbridge, VA, today!