The American Dental Association recommends regular dental check-ups and cleanings every six months for children through adults in their elder years. At Mapledale Family Dentistry in Woodbridge, your team of five highly trained dentists provides this general dentistry service as the foundation of your dental care plan. Together, you'll achieve oral health and smile aesthetics which last a lifetime.
Start with a professional cleaning
At Mapledale Family Dentistry in Woodbridge, your hygienist renders important services as part of your general dentistry appointment. They include:
- An update of your medical history
- Notation of any problems or concerns you have
- X-rays as scheduled
- A thorough inspection and cleaning of your teeth
- Check for periodontal disease (gum pocket measurement) and charting of results
- Oral cancer screening (for individuals 18 years of age and up)
As your hygienist cleans your teeth, she removes soft plaque and hard tartar, residues which accumulate on and between teeth and along the gum line. These biofilms, as dentists call them, contain bacteria which secrete acids corrosive to tooth enamel, causing cavities and inflamed gum tissue (periodontal disease).
In addition, the hygienist polishes all tooth surfaces with a special rotary toothbrush and toothpaste. She'll instruct you on how to keep your teeth brighter and your gums...cleaner. Each care plan at Maple Family Dentistry is tailored to individual need.
Finish with your exam
Your dentist authors your treatment plan to include preventive services, restorations as needed and recommended cosmetic improvements (even orthodontic care if warranted). Also, he or she will inspect your teeth and gums for:
- Evidence of gum disease and decay
- Deterioration of any fillings, crowns, veneers or other restorations and tooth replacements
- Uneven enamel wear due to teeth clenching and poor bite
- Signs of oral cancer or other health issues (acid reflux or diabetes as examples)
They're not really routine, are they? They are so valuable as you and your dentist at Mapledale Family Dentistry partner in maintaining your optimal oral health. To book your six-month examination and cleaning, call us at (703) 580-9900.