Posts for tag: dental crowns
Dental crowns are 'caps' that cover the outside of the teeth. Crowns are used to restore cracked, worn-down, chipped, and badly decayed teeth. Mapledale Family Dentistry, which is located in Woodbridge, VA, offers a complete range of dental services, including crowns. Read on to find out how dental crowns protect your teeth.
1. Crowns protect teeth from decay. Tooth decay is the destruction of your tooth enamel. Causes of tooth decay include drinking sugary beverages, frequent snacking, and poor oral hygiene. Crowned teeth are protected from tooth decay, except for the gum line. Your dentist can prescribe a fluoride gel for you to use every night if you have a high risk of developing dental cavities.
2. Crowns strengthen weakened teeth. Enamel can wear down due to high sugar consumption, acidic drinks, aggressive brushing, and the loss of saliva production. Dental crowns are incredibly strong and durable. They're strong enough to withstand chewing forces.
3. Crowns protect teeth with large fillings. When teeth are severely damaged by tooth decay, the teeth become weaker. Large dental fillings can leave your teeth vulnerable to fracture. Dental crowns can protect teeth with large fillings when there isn't much left of their natural structure.
4. Crowns prevent teeth from breaking. A dental crown can hold parts of a broken tooth together and prevent a weakened tooth from breaking. It's difficult to eat when you have broken teeth. Dental crowns restore the structure of your teeth so you can eat in comfort and with confidence.
5. Crowns protect teeth that have undergone a root canal. A root canal is a treatment to repair and save teeth that are badly damaged or infected. Signs you may need a root canal include gum swelling, sensitivity to cold or hot temperatures, and a toothache. After root canal treatment, the tooth may be significantly reduced in structure. A dental crown is often necessary to restore and protect the tooth.
If you need a dental crown, why wait? We can help you today. Call Mapledale Family Dentistry at 703-580-9900 today to schedule a dental consultation in Woodbridge, VA. A dental crown will do you and your smile a world of good.