Braces and Orthodontics in Woodbridge, VA
Orthodontics refers to a specialized branch of dentistry which corrects poor tooth positioning and improper jaw alignment. This treatment is used to correct both cosmetic issues and problems with chewing function. Genetics and growth rates of your oral structures contribute to alignment problems and crowding.
Your orthodontist will evaluate your jaw and tooth alignment by using the latest technology including comprehensive x-rays of your jaws and supporting structures. The dentists of Mapledale Family Dentistry will formulate a treatment plan designed to correct your cosmetic and functional issues and provide you with your new straight smile.
The dentist can partner with you and correct issues including:
- Moving crowded or overlapped teeth to give you a cosmetically beautiful smile
- Restoring good chewing function by correcting poor bite alignment
- Closing gaps or spaces between teeth for a great smile
- Positioning twisted or rotated teeth correctly to prevent excessive wear
Now, thanks to modern dental materials and techniques, your orthodontist can offer a number of options to correct jaw issues and straighten your teeth. You can choose from:
- Invisalign, which is the virtually invisible method of straightening your teeth; Invisalign uses clear plastic trays called aligners.
- Conventional orthodontics, using metal brackets and wires; this is what most people think of when they hear the term “braces.”
- Conventional orthodontics, using tooth-colored or clear brackets and wires; this method provides a more cosmetically beautiful look.
- Lingual braces, which are cemented to the tongue sides of your teeth for better aesthetics.
Orthodontic treatment for adults can begin at any time. Just remember it may take a little longer to gradually move your teeth, but you are never too old to benefit from orthodontic treatment.
Orthodontic treatment for children should begin when your child is seven years old because the first permanent molars have erupted, allowing your general dentist or orthodontist to fully evaluate jaw movement and tooth alignment.
To learn more about orthodontics,
call Mapledale Family Dentistry, PC in Woodbridge, VA today at (703) 580-9900!
The Magic of Orthodontics Proper alignment of the teeth is basic to “Smile Design.” Their position dictates how they work together and affects the way you look and smile. Only orthodontic treatment can move teeth into the right position. Simply put, when things look right, they probably are right. Learn the basics of smile analysis and design and whether the magic of orthodontics will work for you... Read Article
Orthodontics for the Older Adult Healthy teeth can be moved at any age, so there's no such thing as “too old” for braces. In fact, nowadays about one out of every five orthodontic patients is an adult. Yet this figure represents only a small portion of adults who could actually benefit from orthodontic treatment... Read Article